August 20, 2010

✈ Roma Travelogue

Venezia ✈ Roma
 
Roma, the capital of Italia, with a rich history that spans more than two and a half thousand years and is where the Renaissance flourished. 
 
Given that there are so many famous major attractions which are a must-visit in Rome, we intentionally dedicated 4 days to cover Rome and spent more effort in researching for our accommodation. Hotel Colors was our choice, which is located right next to Vatican and its Basilica. Highly recommended for a budget hostel and its accessibility!
 
I was really looking forward and had rather high expectations of Rome after hearing so much about the capital of Italy and more so since I was so blown away by Venice. Unfortunately, unlike Venice, traveling southwards to Rome means having to endure an awfully hot weather, which could be rather unbearable when walking long distances T__T I have to admit the heat drained a huge part of my enthusiasm and energy away T__T
 
Nevertheless.

Our first must-visit was to Vatican City since it was just a 5 minutes walk from our hostel.

St. Peter's Square
and its obelisk

Swiss Guard in his traditional uniform. 
Looking suave!
I was so blown away by the MAGNIFICENCE of its interior. The Renaissance art and paintings were beyond impressive!
  One can't help at marvel how intricate & breathtaking these wall paintings are. A day is definitely not enough to cover the Vatican City. I wished I have paid for the hearing guides to better appreciate the Art!

Next must-visits: the Colosseum and Palatino

Not a fan of archaeological research, the Colosseum and Palatino did not rouse much excitement in me, which was indeed unfortunate given all the history about gladiatorial contests and medieval times.

Inside Colosseum

Squinting my eyes in the glaring afternoon sun



The weather was such a killer we decided to shorten our list of must-visits and finished our Roma experience on Day 2 with the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. And I'm glad they didn't disappoint!

If you have heard about the legend of the Trevi Fountain, you would know that if you throw in one coin, you'll return to Rome some day; throw in two, you'll marry an Italian; more than that, well... let's not get desperate!

Trevi Fountain
Any takes on how many coins I threw? ;)

Spanish steps!
I would love to count the tiered staircase of 138 steps and perch on one of the steps to people-watch on a less sunny day...


After which, we kinda spent Day 3 and Day 4 in our comfy air-conditioned hostel room, away from the sweltering heat.
I'm so sorry Rome, for not appreciating your beauty :X

And I shall end this post with the most apt candid photo of how we felt.

No comments: