December 31, 2010

Ciao Italia!

I wouldn't exchange anything for this once in a lifetime opportunity, really. This study exchange program has been nothing but spectacular. It's more than just a dream come true.

I still remember how I was compelled to reject my offer last semester due to parents' concerns, even though deep down I knew I really wanted it. And how I applied for exchange again this semester, but had to be taken to the second round. It was such a tormentous wait before the result was released, but at the end of the day, I got it. Everything seemed to be planned- despite the emotional turmoils, I still managed to get my second internship and a study exchange program to Europe. It was a much needed break for me, away from school, and away from Singapore.

Then came the daunting uncertainties. Of whether I could step out of my comfort zone, be independent, get along with my exchange partner whom I didn't know of his existence prior to exchange, settle accommodation with him, and the list goes on. Yet, all worries were unfounded as everything was sorted out one by one when the time came.

I love everything about exchange. I love being independent and being in control of myself. Learning and experimenting how to cook with the limited ingredients found in the university town's supermarket is just so satisfying (minus cleaning but we have a dishwasher!). I love washing my clothes and how fresh and nice they smell after that (with the help of a washing machine!). Living in a non English-speaking environment and attempting to speak with the locals in Italian was challenging and fun at the same time. I didn't like school and my timetable, but studying in a different culture was all part of the exchange experience and I'm glad I have forged friendships with classmates of different nationalities and dynamics. And of course, the best thing about exchange- travelling. Europe was awesome. I've heard so much about this beautiful continent, and after seeing all these amazing sights and creations myself, I must say I'm even more intrigued by the blend of old and modern architecture of grandeur and enigma. Just learning and immersing into the countries and cities, appreciating their culture and living like the locals, was a joy in itself!

2010 has been a blast. There's a balance of study, work and play- 4 months of studying, 3 months of working and 5 months of playing, and I've enjoyed myself tremendously. Cheers to 2010, may 2011 be an even better year ahead!

No comments: