November 25, 2010

Lyon, the gastronomical capital of France

Despite my anticipation for Paris, my first footprint in France was not in Paris, but in the second largest city of France, Lyon. I travelled alone for the first time and it was quite an exciting adventure on its own! Talked to two interesting Philippinos while taking a train down to Lyon from Milan, journey got delayed due to the snow, reached Lyon St Exupery station late, could not purchase the shuttle tickets to Lyon Part Dieu station from the self-help machine, managed to seek help from a friendly stranger given the language barrier, finally reached Lyon Part Dieu station, ran for the metro which closes at midnight (it was 11.45pm when I reached), did not have change to buy my metro ticket, thought I was doomed before I FINALLY met Sherlyn!

Since my purpose of the trip was to meet Sherlyn (whom I finally got to meet on exchange after many attempts!), I must admit I had little knowledge about Lyon and little expectations prior to the trip. However, the city did not disappoint, and I really enjoyed my trip to Lyon and Annecy a lot. I experienced snow in Lyon for the first time in my life, and the feeling was so, so surreal! The touch of snow felt so soft and despite the cold, I don't think my excitement will die down anytime soon. :) This trip was also the first time I travelled with so many people - a huge group of 9, and I must say it makes travelling a lot livelier and more fun. Since Lyon is also known as the gastronomical capital of France, we ate a lot! We watched an Indie live band concert too - Arcade Fire was rocking the house down that night!

Finally reached Part Dieu train station...

...and met Sherlyn!

Picturesque Lyon


First French treat

First contact with SNOW!


Miniature Model and Cinema Museum


FOOD GALORE begins!

Macaroons!

All the salmon goodness in a cake!

Really fresh oysters!

Sea urchin!

ARCADE FIRE concert!

No comments: