September 17, 2010

When it is not just pizza and pasta

School has officially started in the second week of September at Università Carlo Cattaneo (or LIUC for short), my partner university for my fall semester exchange. Despite having the perks of cutting some slack as international exchange students, our traveling plans were unfortunately still being reduced tremendously as we have to attend to mandatory administrative matters such as orientation, registering for classes and taking Italian assessment tests.

Now in Castellanza, a university town that is a good 35 minutes train ride from Milan, grocery shopping pretty much sums up our entertainment here. Since we're "home bound", there is plenty of time at home to experiment and hone our cooking skills (with the blessings of a dishwater to clear our mess ^^;).

It has almost become a daily routine where we will do our rounds in Billa after school and shop for the ingredients and condiments in preparation for dinner.

Here are some of the Asian food we've conjured that actually taste as good as it looks!

1. Half boiled eggs - Yakun style

Half boiled eggs can never be complete without soy sauce. I must really thank my friends for packing along these uniquely Asian condiments which just complements the food so well T_T


2. Onion Mushroom & Cheese omelet

So good. The melted cheese that oozes out when you take a bite...



3. Chawanmushi (cute cup, courtesy of my exchange partner)

 
 
 
 
  
 4. Pan-Seared Salmon with Honey Glazed Onions



5. "ABC" soup which is essentially Pork Ribs (replaced with Chicken) with Potatoes, Carrots and Assorted Vegetables


Sorry to disappoint if you think I churned out the above dishes. My only contribution was to peel garlic and skin potatoes, and at best, during our lazy days, cook pasta (sauce not made by me). I will improve, I promise!

Introducing the busy chef while I was snapping away

No comments: